On Tuesday, April 22, 2008, Safe Kids Washoe County and the Esther Bennett School Safety Committee received a Resolution of Appreciation and Accomplishment for our combined efforts. The resolution, spear-headed by committee member Clara Lawson from the Washoe County Engineering Department, was timed to announce the $10,000 Environmental Improvement Grant that Safe Kids received to improve traffic and safety around the school.
On hand to receive the Resolution were Melissa Krall, Coordinator, Principal Michael Henry, FedEx Sponsor Volunteer Tracie Sasaki, Safe Kids Vice President Jen Stoll-Hadayia from the Washoe County District Health Department and Ms. Lawson.
Additionally, the Safety Committee was also recognized at the April 12th Sun Valley Community Advisory Board. REMSA medic Kat Fivelstad, the Safe Kids Secretary, gave a 10-minute presentation of the history of our education efforts and events to the CAB Board.
Resolution of Appreciation and Accomplishment
- WHEREAS, Safe Kids Washoe County is a coalition of agencies and individuals with a mission to prevent injuries for children 0-14, the number one cause of death for children.
- WHEREAS, Safe Kids Washoe County started locally in 2000 with REMSA as the lead agency, and are part of a national Worldwide organization with more than 400 coalitions around the world.
- WHEREAS, Safe Kids Washoe County programs create safer environments from the perspective of education, research and advocacy
- WHEREAS, Safe Kids Washoe County utilize a multi-faceted approach to address traffic, automobile and car seat safety, poisoning, playground and summer safety.
- WHEREAS, Safe Kids Washoe County has a major focus to improve the environmental elements that make it safer for kids to walk and bike to and from school.
- WHEREAS, Safe Kids Washoe County sponsored a Walk to School day called, “Walk This Way Program” at several Washoe County schools.
- WHEREAS, Safe Kids Washoe County started working with Esther Bennett Elementary School in the fall of 2006.
- WHEREAS, Safe Kids Worldwide and national sponsor Fed Ex awarded a $10,000 grant to make some improvements at Esther Bennett Elementary. Therefore, be RESOLVED, That the Washoe County Board of County Commissioners wishes to recognize all that Safe Kids Washoe County for all they have done for Washoe County children to prevent injuries.